#3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 20:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I am on track about 95% of the time.. these little slips can cause the weight to go back up?

Insulin carries glucose to your cells to be used as fuel. Some of it gets converted to glycogen and is stored in the muscles and liver. What is left over gets turned into fat. The glycogen has to be used up before your body gets back to burning your fat. So, your weight will either go back up because insulin is the fat producing hormone or you'll readdict yourself to carbs through "little slips" and...

Quote:
If I go back to "clean living" as I like to call it , can I get the scale to move again?

I would say that by your menu, you're not eating enough calories. Have a look at Fat and Keeping Calories Up in the Hot Links! thread in the Newbies Questions Forum. Also, So You think You are a Turtle? and The Wrong Way to do Atkins as a reminder!

These are extremely wise words from Doreen. The best I've seen on plateaus.

"Plateaus are good, and necessary. Plateaus mean a levelling off. When you're climbing a mountain, a plateau is a welcome relief, and chance for the body to catch up. Weight loss plateaus should be viewed the same way. The body is just levelling off, giving the mind-set extra time to develop the new lowcarb habits. If we hit a plateau, and cheat or binge with carby foods, it's like going back down the mountain, and the climb back up to where we were is harder than ever.

Pretty much everything we do in life is filled with stops and starts, charging full-steam ahead and then stale periods of immobilization ... our relationships, education, careers ... as well as health issues. We have no way of knowing in advance how long or how often ... It's taken me many years to come to feel this way though ... didn't happen overnight that's for sure! But I guess it's all just part of life's journey.

I posted this elsewhere, but it holds true in this discussion as well ... "You CAN have it all -- you just can't have it all NOW." "

Karen