View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 15:44

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Further to Lady Belle's comment...

Any of you who have peeked at the "cramps--what to do" type threads on the various subforums over the past month or two may know me--I've suffered from them for the first time in my life since starting a LC WOE.

Long story short, after potassium supps (already was on cal/mag), then adding mag supps, and finally a pinch of salt to a diet that was salt-free (no processed foods, no salt added), I have been somewhat under control. But here's the kicker:

I was at the vet's yesterday (doggie has a UTI), and when I explained that I keep her well hydrated with the same Poland Springs steamed distilled water I drink, she tells me that distilled is not the best for her--or for me!--because the distilling takes out all the electrolytes, and drinking this kind of water can cause an imbalance.

Well. I just about fell over backward. I'd been buying distilled for a few years after reading about how so many "pure spring" water companies can be bogus, and that steamed distilled was actually the purest way to go. And here I'm being handed--by my vet!!--a possible reason for an electrolyte imbalance: the amount of distilled water I drink!

It may not come to mean anything, but it's an interesting thought. Maybe others on this forum drink distilled water (or not)--and maybe the idea that an electrolyte imbalance could develop from drinking this kind of water might be a factor in the cramps.

Just my two cents.

Best, Sona P.S. Oh--so it's back to Poland Springs spring water for me.