View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 06:07
Atkins Groupie

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/250/150 Female 5'-6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I think (don't quote me on this one --am having a senior moment) Dr. Atkins pointed out in his book that one of the reasons for the Induction phase is to show people that they can lose weight on his diet and the large weight loss is to give them the confidence to continue. Another reason is to detox the body from YEARS of lousy nutrition. Induction foods are the mainstay or core of the diet and then as one moves to OWL one begins to add say extra veggies etc. Since you're a college student I imagine you haven't suffered from YEARS of nutritional abuse and you appear to be in a good mindset already so you're basically going to want to use the Induction foods list as a recipe for your food choices. So don't worry about going through Induction so much as using the Induction food list as the basis for your main food choices that you will eat every day.
I have a feeling your main problem will be SUGAR. If you're a chocoholic it's gonna be tough (I'm one too) and if you eat too many of the Atkins chocolate bars you'll get the trots/cramping etc...so limit yourself (that's not to say don't have any...but try and have just one every once in a while...kind of like an emergency stash for those times...well, you know).

I know that this will be a challenge for you because at college the food choices are difficult to make when the cafe only serves cheap high carb crap (my daughter is a college student too and she's on a modified Atkins and boy you should hear her bitching about the cafeteria foods). Also make sure you take your supplements every day and drink your water and get your exercise!! And HAVE PATIENCE!! Don't try and rush things.