Thread: Fat Flush Plan
View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 12:09

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%
Talking Yippee! Another FFP afficionado!

Hi Doreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Actually, on page 166 of the Fat Flush Plan program book .. in the Fat Flush Protocol section, Gittleman's own response is that it's perfectly acceptable to adapt and personalize the program to one's own needs
Absolutely. My problem with Zuleikaa's statement was with the use of "proper" in the context of discussing cranwater. "proper" may refer to HER utilization in an ATKINS context, but not in a FFP context. I just wanted to make that clear to the those unfamiliar with the FFP. Ultimately, the MORE one adapts ANY plan's eating guidelines to suit themselves, the more one is actually doing the Doreen Fat Flush or the Charli-Atkins. The closer you can stick to the eating plans as laid out, the faster/better it works. IMHO! (and not to quibble or anything, but the passage you quoted is actually in the Because You Asked Q&A section of the book, NOT the FF eating protocol section. )
Quote:
I also chose to have a Tbsp organic x.virgin olive oil in addition to the flaxseed oil.
Actually, this is a Phase 3 A-ok thing to do. (um...I thought EVOO was a source of omega 9? Good for heart but not as critical to weight loss as the omega 3's and 6's)
However, in earlier phases, Gittleman has pretty closely balanced omega 3's and 6's using FSO and GLA and lean protein in order to maximize weight loss. Attempting to follow the FFP (or Atkins, for that matter, IMHO) without taking a GLA (or EFA) supplement will mean that your body burns off its stores of omega 3 first. Depleted stores of omega 3's can result in easy weight gain and subsequent difficulty shifting it off again...bear with me, I'm going to channel my friend, Jenny:
Quote:
When talking about omega-3 fats, it’s important to be aware of omega-6 fats in order to understand their immense role in health. These two types of fat, omega-3 and omega-6, are both essential for human health. However, the typical American consumes far too many omega-6 fats in their diet while consuming very low levels of omega-3. The ideal ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fats is 1:1. Our ancestors evolved over millions of years on this ratio. Today, though, our ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 averages from 20:1 to 50:1(!! yikies) That lack of omega-3 from fish oil is one of the most serious health issues plaguing contemporary society.

The primary sources of omega-6 are corn, soy, safflower and sunflower oil; these oils are overabundant in the typical diet, which explains our excess omega-6 levels. It’s important to avoid or limit these oils.

A major part of the problem is that at the beginning of 1900 we had very little processed vegetable oils, which are virtually 100 percent omega-6 fat, in our diet. In the last 100 years the U.S. population has gone from consuming virtually no vegetable fats to consuming more than 70 pounds per person per year. It is likely this unnaturally high consumption of omega-6 fats that is totally distorting the important omega 6:3 ratio.

So as I mentioned above, it is vital to reduce the omega-6 vegetable oils in your diet as much as possible while increasing the amount of beneficial omega-3 fats. Doing so will help you to prevent a long list of diseases and I highly recommend that everyone – from infant to senior and every age in between – make these dietary changes for health today.
I think most of us consume WAY too much omega 6's than is good for us! These days, we can find whatever research we want to support our positions. And diversity of opinion is a GOOD thing in my view! Be pretty dang boring around this planet if we all held the same opinions.
Quote:
I think it's far more important to incorporate those principles which are relevant to our own body chemistry than to just follow a set of cookie-cutter instructions, food lists and menus. Of course, if it's all new to you, then it only makes sense that you'd begin by following the instructions as written .. and then by listening to your body and being aware of your reactions to foods and situations, make gradual changes and adaptations that work for YOU! That's when it truly becomes a way of life, and not just a "diet".
I agree. No diet works for 100% of those who try it. It's important to listen to your body and its response to foods. And ultimately, it's the diet you CAN live with, that leads to success.