Thread: Rant
View Single Post
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 08:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

I have to put in here: the other day I was at the self-checkout line (do you guys have those? Where you scan your own stuff and bag it yourself) and this woman in front of me was obviously hurrying (she felt bad, I think, as though she was going too slow), and meanwhile her daughter (about 6 I think) was at the bagging area bagging the groceries for her. The daughter kept asking the mom "Should I put this in here?" and the mom, even though she was trying occupied trying to weigh the asparagus, etc, each time very patiently and nicely told her where each item should go.

I had never thought of the self-checkout line as a good place to teach kids to "help," but I was very impressed by the interaction between this mom and her kid. I actually told her, "you have a very nice child," and she smiled and said, "yes, she's lovely," and visibly relaxed about her hurrying-up to get out of my way.

Much nicer than the kids throwing tantrums in the checkout line.

And while I had been shopping there was this obviously mentally-impaired gentleman steering his cart straight for me. The young woman who was shopping with him (I think she was an aide of some sort) just laughed and guided him to avoid collision. She looked so sweet and calm; and the other mentally-impaired fellow who was with them drew aside to let me pass, in the most polite way. It was very sweet. I wish that all people were as patient with one another (I myself have a lot to learn on this score).

So there is nice stuff too, in the grocery store.