Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 21:25
Registered Member

Plan: low low carb
Stats: 142/146/148 Male 177
BF:?/?/22%
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Erythritol is a very special case. For all the other sugar alcohols, gas/laxation is a sign that they aren't being digested, and thus not being metabolized. Erythritol, on the other hand, is supposed to take a totally different route. It shouldn't be making it to the large intestine and causing gas/laxation. It is absorbed through the stomach, is then unable to metabolize, and the lion's share (90%), is passed through the urine unchanged.

It's actually an even larger lions share - 95%. The other big winner with erythritol is that it has a G.I. of zero. Zip. Nada. All the other S.A.'s have much higher G.I. It's laxation threshold is even higher than sucrose. So if sugar gets you moving then erythritol might - if you eat more of it than you would sugar. There is simply no physiological reason for it to cause gas in anyone. People who swear that it causes gas will find that there are other S.A.'s OR (and this is a very big or) there are other carbs in the problem food that are making it to the bowel unmetabolized and so becoming dinner for gas producing yeasts and bacteria. Erythritol is a paradigm change for the better in low carb sweeteners. It's a pity it is a sugar alcohol at all, because so many people just dismiss it as 'just another S.A.' and avoid it. It's not even any more expensive than the others. About the only valid criticism that I've ever heard levelled at erythritol is it's cool, very slightly minty taste. I prefer it's taste to real sugar. But others may not.