Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: low low carb
Stats: 142/146/148 Male 177
BF:?/?/22%
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecker
I think it is only a matter of time before the Japanese or some other big fish- eating nation puts mercury poisoning on the international agenda. You don't have to be an environmentalist to see that this situation is getting out-of-hand.

Tragic indeed. Even if environmental pollution stopped right now, hundreds of generations into the future (of all species, not just humans) will still be adversly affected. The Inuit are just the unlucky first cab off the rank.
To my knowledge, there are two ways of reducing environmental mercury in the body . One is a high selenium intake (and presumably vit. E as well, since they are so synergistic) and the other donating blood and plasma regularly. Well three actually, if you include EDTA chelation, but that's very expensive.
But does anybody know just how effective the first two approaches are? And are PCB's and other pollutants similarly reduced? I'm happy to give blood and plasma anyway. Many others will benefit. Particularly because my LowCarb blood is so darned healthy . But is it also much lower in the 'silent springs' as well , because I share the accumulated environmental toxins in my blood with the medically needy?