#144   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey there

What kind of protein will you be taking? If it's whey, be careful - for many low-carbers, whey glycolyzes so fast we get an insulin response from it. I've pretty much switched to cottage cheese because of this (casein protein metabolizes more slowly).

I like to get in about .9g of protein per pound of body weight, and that seems to work well while low-carbing. If I'm doing lower fat, this rises to about 1.5g per pound of body weight. But still, I tend to avoid whey except for maybe half an hour before lifting (but still, cottage cheese after).

Carbs? Everybody is different. I wouldn't even bother until you're only about 10 pounds or less away from your target, but you're free to fiddle with it - you can always try them and drop them if you get fat spillover. You'll have to experiment with slower vs faster carbs and different amounts and timings of them. There's a TREMENDOUS amount of variety here in terms of what different bodies respond to and tolerate. Even the TIMING is a factor - I can't have carbs for breakfast, or I'm screwed. Others like steel cut oats with protein for breakfast. You'll just have to try different strategies to find the ones that work for you.

Clear as mud?

Good luck, and ask away if you get stuck with something, although you have Terry training you, so I'm sure you're in good hands.