View Single Post
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 17:35

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Potatofree, in an ethical and perfect low carb world, the consumer would be treated with dignity and respect. Customer relations would be prized above the bottom line. We are not yet living in that perfect low carb world.

Sometimes the fiber inherent to the food has already been subtracted by the manufacturer. Added fiber is then put in the product and listed on the nutritional information as the fiber count. When that is done, the consumer is at a disadvantage. The net then is not the true net. This also works with the correct total carb count. If a candy bar comes in at 20 total carbs with, let's say <1 g fiber inherent to the food, that does not make me want to buy it. If the nutritional information shows 15 g of fiber and some SA's, then the product looks more low carb friendly.

The bottom line for the consumer is to be able to tell if the 15 g of fiber have been added to the product in order to make the numbers look good. If it was added, then it will not affect the original 20 total carbs. You would still have those to deal with.

Until the FDA regulates carbs, all kinds of deceptive practices are allowed to flourish. I do not suggest that this is the case with these PB cups. I am just wondering if the fiber was added to the candy because it was identified by name as a fiber. When I buy nuts, for example, there is just a listing for fiber, not fiber by any other name.