#6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 01:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default durn it's got harder to find...

Ok, so I went to the site at www.atkinscenter.com and then I clicked on the FAQ button on the lower right (or on the menu bar). Then I put the word "label " in the keyword search field and hit GO. The resulting page gives a lot of questions & answers but page down and you get to this one (about 8th or 9th question):
Quote:
I've read recently that Atkins does not report carbohydrates correctly on its nutritional labeling on certain products. Is that true? If so, why is this happening and what does Atkins intend to do about the situation?

and this answer:
Quote:
Atkins products are specifically formulated to minimize the impact of carbohydrates on a person's blood sugar level because elevated blood sugar and the resulting excess insulin production can inhibit weight loss, weight management and increase the risk of disease and illness.

We accomplish this in our product formulation by understanding that not all carbohydrates behave the same way in a person's body. While most carbohydrates — sugar, which imparts 4 calories per gram, is the best example — are digested by your body and turned into blood sugar, other carbohydrates behave differently. Some carbs are digested by your body but not turned into glucose. And, some carbs—such as fiber — can impart as little as 0 calories per gram, are not digested at all and pass through your body as waste. In either of these last two cases there is no noted impact on blood sugar levels. However, the FDA and other health organizations have not yet focused on this important biochemical difference and treat all carbohydrates as the same.

The nutritional information on Atkins food products is intended to help consumers understand exactly how we formulate our products so that the consumer has the knowledge necessary to follow a controlled carbohydrate nutritional approach and eat healthy foods. Thus, for Atkins Advantage™ Bars, the "net" carb count listed in the Total Carbohydrate statement is completely accurate for Atkins followers, and the "gross" carb count matters very little.

... which wasn't exactly what I remember reading! but there's more:
Quote:
Example: Atkins Chocolate Mocha Crunch Advantage Bar
Total Carbohydrate (as defined by the FDA) 19 grams
Non-Caloric and/or Non-blood sugar impacting Carbs 15.5 grams
Polydextrose/Fiber 11 grams
Glycerine 4.5 grams
Net Carbohydrates of interest to consumers who do Atkins 3.5 grams
(Mainly from the soy nuggets, cocoa and residual carbs found in the sources for the protein blend)

Hmmmmmmph. They go on some more but the really important bit is here:
Quote:
Atkins will therefore update all its labels to comply with this directive. This process is underway and can be seen on Atkins™ Ready-To-Drink Shakes, Atkins™ Shake Mixes, Atkins™ Quick & Easy Mixes and many other Atkins products. It is presently being accomplished on Atkins Advantage™ Bars, Atkins™ Breakfast Bars and Atkins Endulge™ Bars. Current product with existing labels will be sold through and then be replaced by product with the FDA-mandated labels. Consumers should start seeing these new labels in early 2002.

Hope that helps!