#15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 15:29
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Please play with your food!!!

Remember being told not to play with your food as a child? Now I love to play with my food, while I'm preparing it, that is. Some of my experiments are disasters. Just last week I botched an impromptu dessert experiment involving some very expensive mascarpone cheese and the whole mess got thrown in the trash.

However I do have some successes. Just yesterday I made regular cheeseburger pizza for the family. I had a yen for pizza too so I got the notion to turn it upside down or maybe it's inside out?
Anyway I got out my small quiche pan, spread a layer of the browned & seasoned ground beef and onion, just a little over .5 " thick. Then I got one egg and beat it thoroughly in a little bowl until evenly lemon coloured. Next I drizzled the egg all over the meat and swirled the pan around a bit so the egg was evenly distributed. I baked it in the oven until the egg was nicely set. Then I took it out of the oven and topped it with some slices of Roma tomato, green pepper strips and grated mozzarella. Popped it back into the oven until cheese was nicely melted.
Voila! A Meatza Pizza sans crust which cut nicely into wedges and delivered that yummy pizza flavour so many of us crave! And the leftovers were great for breakfast this morning too!

Another experiment which was not quite as stunning a success but ok was my Black Forest Smoothie - 1/2 c yogurt, 1.5 oz cream cheese, 2 heaping T plain unsweetened whey powder, 1 t dark cocoa powder, 1 t flax oil, 4 frozen strawberries, 1 t vanilla, 7 drops of stevia liquid. I had to ad an extra two or 3 T of water to get it to blend properly, I don't have the greatest blender. It was very filling for a mid-afternoon snack.
Flavourwise it tasted like it could be a little sweeter but maybe that's because I'm in the process of sugar withdrawal. I had started out with 1/2 t vanilla and 4 drops of stevia but added more to improve the flavour. My vanilla is homemade so it has a delicious flavour but I find I have to use twice as much because it's not as strong. I may try this again and use 8 drops of stevia. Stevia has a sort of licorice taste and I find I have to be cautious with it or it takes over. But the bitterness of the cocoa needed a bit more sweetness to balance it.
I follow the Scwarzbein program which is a little more flexible than some of the other eating plans so I don't know if this would be acceptable for others. But hey, anything that keeps me from a sugar/chocolate binge is helpful for me.
Also I didn't do a carb count because I'm a little lazy when it comes to tallying numbers, I just try to live by the LC principle. The whey powder comes in at 1 g carb and 17 g protein for each heaping 2 T serving. Also 1 g fat if that interests you at all.