View Single Post
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 06:23

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 180/180/138 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Thank you so much for your input! I've since been back to see the Endocrinologist. Before going in, I'd printed up a two page summary of points that I wanted to cover with him so that I wouldn't forget what I wanted to say! I had both barrels loaded, let me tell ya. One of the points being that my Oroxine is kept in my bathroom where it gets quite warm with the shower and heater. Through research, I found that in 2003, Sigma (the makers of Oroxine here) were instructed to keep the medication refrigerated as the potency after 4 weeks unrefrigerated wasn't the same. It's not printed anywhere on the bottle, and my doctor, nor the pharmacist said anything about that! And I've had that bottle since March of this year. He just said that that's something they were just hearing about. I also presented him with my point that it's repeated in many medical journals how just replacing the thyroxine to "adequate" or "normal" levels does not relieve symptoms for some patients, and that replacing it with a higher level than "normal" may be more benefical. Anywho, at the end of the day, he's uped my dosage 25 mcg to try for 4-5 weeks. Then I have to be retested. I also made the decision prior to going back to him that I would go back to my previous routine of low(er) carbs: no potatoes, rice, pastas or breads and also go back to running 1.5 miles 5 days/week, along with sit ups and a few other at home exercises. I've used the no pastas, rice, breads or potatoes routine before and it really did help me lose. I had more or less gone to still low carbs, but having low GI which includes the above, thinking that would be okay for me since it's a very healthy regime. Apparently, my body doesn't react well to the carbs-low GI or not, so I'll just cut that bit out! I also would like to find out from anyone who has tried using Coconut Oil. I've been reading about the effects of it for people with Hypothyroidism and it sounds to be beneficial.
Thanks again for your input!

Take care,
Lara