#10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 13:27

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 175/134/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Suggestions

Hi BD,

I hope that you are doing a little better. I can sympathize with your anxiety. It may help to try to relax and get your stress level down with exercise or meditation since stress also affects your BG.

A few questions - what kind of tests are you waiting for? When is your appointment with your doctor? Are you monitoring your glucose levels?

If you want to get an answer right away, you can go to your drugstore like Walgreens and get an A1C exam that will give you immediate results. It may be worth the peace of mind...

Otherwise, you can get an inexpensive glucose monitor and test the effect of different foods on your BG.

I have read somewhere that cooking vegetables increases their glycemic value (think caramelized onions) so unless you are totally against raw vegetables, maybe you can steam them for a short time. You can also try adding flaxseed to your vegetables to increase the fiber content as an alternative to using oil. Also, vegetables that are not-so-ripe have a lower glycemic content.

Also, try the lower carb vegetables to get your "fix" like alfalfa sprouts, cabbage, celery, cucumber, boston lettuce, radishes, and spinach.

Let us know how you are coping. Hope this helps.

Patty