#5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 09:27

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 325/283/200
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilass
This is an interesting thread. I have been having a considerable amount of pain in my hips, especially when walking, and have taken to sleeping with a pillow under my hips at night to cushion them. I have had this pain once before - when I had been on WW for about four weeks and was losing. Apart from that, I don't have any aches or pains and never have, so this is a new, annoying and downright painful experience. Plus it makes me walk stiffly - looks like I p**ed myself!

Fish oil right? So the fish oil capsules that you take for Omega 3 are suitable? I will get some asap and try them. Also, I don't each much red meat or eggs but I will cut back even the small amount I eat. Although, I take it that egg whites are OK, it's just the yolks to watch out for.

Have you thought about seeing a Chiropractor? Hip issues can often be tied to lower back issues that you might not notice.

Also, when you are heavier your body changes how it "holds" itself. Ideally your pelvis and hips are in-line under your shoulders and cradle your internal organs in a "bowl" of sorts that has the spine to lean back against. A larger belly pulls your spine forward, tips the bulk of the organs against the front of your abdomen where there is nothing but soft tissue for support, and tips your pelvis forward too.

If you are heavy for a long time then the changes to this position are so gradual that there is not much pain associated with the adjustments. However, your body wants to be in the correct position, so when you lose wieght quickly, it starts to go back to the way you should normally be alligned, and that transition can be painful.

It could be that since you've lost weight, your hips/pelvis are adjusting to sit in a more natural position now that they don't have to support the extra weight. That adjustment may cause pain.

One of the things that also may be causing problems is that when your body is all out of alighnemnt due to your extra weight, you get an increase in bone degeneration. Back, hips and knees are all likely spots for this to occur as they bear the brunt of all the extra weight.

I've been having hip and lower back issues recently. Upon seeing a Chiropractor x-rays of my back were taken an it was determined that I have a small amount of bone degeneration in my spine. Unfortunately, you cannot undo the degeneration once it occurs, but you can get yourself realigned so that no further degeration will occur. I am getting treated for this condition now and over the next 12 weeks will be getting realigned to take the pressure off the places where degeration is occuring.

Also, it seems to me that sleeping with a pillow undeneath your hips might make them feel better but will probably put additional stress on your back and set you up for problems there later on.

Supplement-wise, I take an Omega-3 booster anyway, but have heard great things about Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements for joint issues. I recently started taking them and apparently it takes a week or two of supplementation to really feel the effects so I don't yet have an opinon on their effectiveness.