View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 10:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:have no idea
Progress: 89%
Default Prozac made me a zombie

Hey, I just wanted to share my experience with Prozac. I was diagnosed in high school with depression, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorger. It runs in my family. Gotta love those genes. So the dr. put me on Prozac, which was the same thing my mom was taking at the time.

Let me just give you a little back ground. Writing is my absolute passion. I'm going to school for journalism, hope to publish books, and I've written in a journal nearly EVERY day since I was in 4th grade. I have about 15 FULL journals in my closet. Writing is like breathing for me. It's how I deal with everything, asses my life's situations, it's my creativity and my happiness.

So after I'd been on Prozac for about 2 weeks, it started to kick in. I didn't gain any weight. I actually lost a substantail amount. It just took away my appetite, I guess. But it also took away my personality. No matter how much something hurt or upset me, I couldn't cry. Physically, I had no tears. I completely stopped writing, ANYTHING. And my English classes, etc. (which I previously held the highest grade in) started to suffer. I couldn't write about things I felt strongly about, because I didn't FEEL.

My journal gathered dust, and all I did was sleep. I don't know if all of this is typical or not for people who take prozac, but if I ever get on another anti depressant, it will not be this one. I had no emotion, no feeling, (happy or sad). Weird experience. So I've been off it for about three years, and I won't say it isn't a daily struggle. I've been considering getting back on some type of anti depressant, to help me with my OCD and eating disorders, but I just can't bring myself to do it, if I'm going to be a zombie.

So anyhow, about gaining weight on Prozac, I think it just depends from person to person. My mom gained a lot of weight while she was on it. I don't know that it was due to the actual PILL, but we both started Atkins last summer, and honestly Atkins is my anti depressant right now. Hope I shed some light for you Feel free to comment! I'd like to hear other's stories.