View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 18:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
One thing that caught my attention was the ref. to the tiredness factor. That is something I can not shake. Is this a side effect? I alway though the opposite was true and I was just a freak of nature.

Most people feel out of sorts the first few days to a week but report feeling better than before they began the diet after that. I suspect that the person referred to in the article had fallen into one (or several) mistakes that people can make while following a low carb regime:
-too few carbs for too long (read not enough veggies)
-too few calories
-too little fat
-not enough water
-not taking any supplements (such as a good all-purpose multivitamin)
-use of too much "fake food" and not enough real food
-trying to reach a goal weight that is unrealistic

Quote:
Six months after she started, Lewis switched to a more balanced diet.

This statement made me wonder. She started off wanting to lose 5 pounds and stayed at a "drastically low carb intake" for 6 months and then switched to a more balanced diet? I take it she failed to read the chapter on maintainence because it seems to me like she was trying to maintain on induction levels (or less) of carb intake instead of going to maintainence once she reached her goal. In fact, she really had no need whatsoever to ever do induction and would have done just fine starting with OWL levels of carbs as Dr. Atkins states in his book and considering that she had 5 pounds to lose, she should have been on maintainence levels for probably 5.5 months out of those 6.