Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 04:01
Pending Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 314/306.6/299
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default I know what you mean....

Hilary,

I understand just where you are coming from. I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and am severely insulin resistant. I was on Atkins for 6 months and gained 2kgs by the end of it. I tried everything I could think of. In the meanwhile, I managed to get referred to an endocrinologist who did a full workup on me, including (among many other things) an IGTT (glucose tolerance test with insulin). It was determined my insulin level at fasting was almost 4 times normal and after glucose (carb) intake it was off the chart. That's why I wasn't losing on Atkins - the diet alone wasn't reducing my insulin enough to 'work'.

I have been taking an insulin-sensitizing drug (metformin) for a few months now and am FINALLY beginning to lose, slowly, but it's happening. I am following CALP (carb-addicts lifespan program) and it's working for me.

You mentioned the IBS and possible yeast infestation - if possible, you may look more closely to these factors and possibly hyperinsulin as well. I know it is so frustrating to not know WHY it's not doing what it should! I think you may just need to dig deeper into your own personal biochemistry with the help of a knowledgeable GP or endocrinologist.

Best wishes!!!