#10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 185/179.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default take it slow

Hey bluesfan 88, welcome I'm glad you are running along side of us. Running is so exilirating isn't it? I have a concern though. You say you run once a week for 1 hour and that you want to up that to 1 hour 4 times a week. Do you plan to do that all at once or gradually? Do you walk at other times during the week? Do you bike? I'm just concerned that going from 1 hour of running to 4 hours, if you do it all at once, will lead to injury which might result in no running at all, which I'm sure you don't want! Better try some walk run activities just to be on the safe side. They say that you should increase your mileage by no more than 10% a week to be safe and to avoid injury. That would be going from 1 hour to 1 hour and 6 minutes or 5 km to 5.5 km, like that. Of course at first, you have to actually start somewhere so I get what you are saying but just keep all that in mind. One more thing, walking 5 km and running 5 km is the same burnt calories (have a started a debate here?! ). You just run farther doing 1 hour of running as opposed to one hour of walking and walking doesn't make you nearly as prone to injury. Maybe you could walk/run the same distance as that 1 hour run and see how it goes and then later add more running and less walking. Gradually you know!
Cheers big ears!