View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 23:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/235/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default The Over and Over and Over- 40...50...(lbs...years)?

I'm with you, Patricia! NOTHING moves as fast as it used to - and that is the sad, sad truth! So we have to be kind to ourselves too - and have realistic goals. Jonny Bowden's latest book, LIVING THE LOW CARB LIFE, talks about that. Realistically, a 10% weight loss is considered to be a success - it makes a considerable difference to health and is achieveable. For us oldies, that perhaps puts our goals into a different frame.

Two years ago I lost 60 pounds on WW - took me to 200 pounds and I looked terrific - size 14 regular women's. But their chart said I should be 150 - even at 30 I struggled to achieve that - starvation, and then I was a size 9 at that weight and I am 5' 8" with a very large frame. I had my BFI done then, and it was 16%!!! So much for the scales and WW charts. But it is so easy to get sucked into the "stats". I gained the weight (60 lb) back after a serious car accident which compromised my mobility and depressed me = depressed eating too. Anyways - I guess what I'm saying is, we have to do what we can do - be kind to ourselves - stay true to what we really want - and accept what we can truly achieve. Life is not just about what we weigh....