#8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 03:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow!
I've been here for 10 days or so and have only just now discovered this section.
I, too have IBS as does my SO who is also low carbing with me.
AS I read the posts above I could only empathise. Been there done that.
My main problem is (was?) gas, intermittent diarrhoea, gas, bloat, gas and sometimes the most appalling urgency. Did I mention Gas? MY poor old SO leans towards constipation, and pain.
In the 11 days since we've started this WOE, I've been virtually symptom free apart from a touch of constipation. Actually having one "normal" bathroom visit a day is something I hadn't done for over 10 years.
My SO has had one minor (for him) episode of pain that settled relatively quickly with 1 Colofac tab.
And of course the doctors, what do they know? Neither of us has struck one who seems to really understand how IBS works.
"Eat bran" is the usual suggestion.
This is getting a bit long-winded, sorry.
So, anyway, what I'm trying to get to is that when I was thinking about doing Atkins, I was terrified of the IBS reaction. You see in the past, my (our) IBS triggers have been high fibre vegies, cream, cheese and butter. LOL!
If only I'd known that it was the carbs I was eating, in combination with the dairy at least, that were the problem! I've had plenty of dairy with no probs (except for when I overdid the cream but that's another story...) since doing Atkins.
I searched the net for info on Atkins and IBS and straightaway found 2 entries on IBS boards who declared their IBS was all but cured since starting Atkins. That was enough for me, and here I am.
I'm delighted to read that others are also feeling better IBSwise!
I wish you all unbloated, pain free etc tummies!