View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 10:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

[QUOTE]I took my numbers from the nutrition facts on the label for commercial bread. My mistake was to confuse slices and servings. The numbers I quoted were for a two slice serving.

The numbers still don't add up. There's no real advantage to eating shole wheat bread. Whatever nutrients it has are far better obtained from other sources, like low carb, fresh fruits and vegetables.

Also, what's all the hype about the glycemic index. It only measures how fast the insulin reaction occurs. You can go 60 mph in Porsche or you can go 60 mph in a Geo metro. The Porsche will get you there faster, so what. The real question is whether you should be going 60 mph.

24 grams of carbohydrate from white bread will produce the same insulin reaction as 24 grams of carbohydrate from beans, only faster. It may make a difference in how fast you become hungry again. But if the issue is controlling levels of insulin to control insulin resistance, the glycemic index is not useful and possibly harmful if it leads someone to believe that it's OK to load up on carbs from the lower end of the glycemic index.