#8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 02:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceberezin
What's the big deal about whole grain bread. A slice of white bread contains 25 frams of carbohydrate including 1 gram of fiber. A slice of whole wheat bread contains 25 grams of carbohydrate including three grams of fiber. So white bread has 24 grams of effective carbohydrates versus 22 grams for whole wheat. There's no major difference here!

First off, those numbers are not correct for the standard 26-28g slice or even a 30-32g slice [which is considered a "large" slice.] That would be close to, though not quite what's in a 2 oz [semi-rectangular - about twice as long as it is tall] slice of bread, Hamburger/Hot Dog Bun, or a Large Roll.

White Bread -- 12.87g CHO - 0.60g Fiber = 12.27g Net CHO per [26g] slice. I've seen it quite often at 14g Total CHO, most likely due to a little bit of added sugar.
100% WW Bread -- 12.91g CHO - 1.93g Fiber = 10.98g Net CHO per [28g] slice. (10.2g Net for a 26g slice)

BTW, if you remove the crust:

White Bread -- 5.94g CHO - 0.28g Fiber = 5.66g Net CHO per [12g] slice.
100% WW Bread -- 5.62g CHO - 0.84g Fiber = 4.78g Net CHO per [12.2g] slice.

That's how I occassionally get away with eating Whole Wheat Toast [w. Butter] when i eat out. Once you peel off the crust, it's got about the same amount of Carbs as LC Bread, and all the Butter's on the inside, so you get to eat all of the butter. Just make sure to order REAL !!! Butter [I give extra emphasis to the word REAL, because if you don't make it clear that Butter means REAL Butter, they'll usually put Margarine on it.

Of course, the same holds true for LC Breads. You peel the crust off of them, and they lose over half their Carbs. For example [assuming they have the same crust:inside ratio as regular bread]:

Nature's Own White Wheat -- 5.08g CHO - 1.15g Fiber = 3.93g Net CHO per [crustless] slice.
Nature's Own Double Fiber -- 4.90g CHO - 2.18g Fiber = 2.72g Net CHO per [crustless] slice.
Nature's Own Wheat 'N Fiber -- 3.24g CHO - 1.03g Fiber = 2.21g Net CHO per [crustless] slice.
Country Hearth (?) -- 3.97g CHO - 2.06g Fiber = 1.91g Net CHO per [crustless] slice.

Overall, you'd probably do better cutting the crusts off your bread than eating Whole Wheat, but if you combine the two, or even better cut the crusts off Whole Wheat, Light (Reduced Calorie) Breads, its even lower. BTW, most if not all Light (Reduced Calorie) sliced Breads [from what I've seen] are reasonably low in Carbs, at about 7-8g Net a slice [4g if you remove the crust.] This makes sense, seeing as that Sliced Bread gets damn near all of its Calories from Carbs, cutting the Carbs is really the only way to make a Reduced Calorie (Light) Sliced Bread.