Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 15:39

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholian8
They'll never do it, not when statins are ruinous to certain peoples' livers. As was pointed out earlier on the thread, once it were added to the water supply it would become impossible to avoid totally. Even the nanny-state UK government is not going to take that kind of risk. Hell, they don't even have fluoride in the water over here.

The problem is that most people don't know how dangerous statins are. And even when they do, they take them anyway -- my dad is one of those, and I am convinced that statins are actually why he can't achieve a decent ratio, his HDL is way too low and won't go up even with low-carbing and eating plenty of fat.

The press around statins has been so skewed that even the report cited in this thread claims health benefits when the makers have to state on their websites that there is no proof statins prevent heart attacks.

Even in the UK, where they have started selling this stuff over the counter -- before the US mind you -- it could/will happen. If the medical/pharmeceutical community pushes hard enough, it will happen.