View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 23:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

It only made sense to me that if low-carbing is a healthier way of eating why shouldn't everyone in the household benefit? Four of us follow Atkins and one doesn't (doesn't need to), and what I've done with him is cut out most junk carbs and at the same time increased his fat intake (things like whole milk instead of 2%, etc.).

A lot of times his 'carbs' for dinner is a piece of bread. Other times it varies. Sometimes he gets to missing macaroni and cheese so we could him some, let him eat it and throw the rest out to the animals. Today he wanted french fries so we cooked him a few. The great thing is he's a huge veggie and fruit eater so getting him to eat the good stuff is a snap. One of his favorite dishes is taco salad with which he gets tortilla chips if he wants. Most of the time he even forgoes the tortilla chips.

I really think it's all about choices. Just because a kid is skinny today doesn't mean they will be 10 years from now (I'm a classic example--skinny until age 10). Teach them to eat healthy from the get-go and chances are they won't run into weight problems down the road and if they do by then they should know what to do about it.