View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 16:32

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

Karen, I really appreciate all your messages about carb addiction. I also appreciate how calm and steady and kind you are in giving that message (I recall a post where you kept at it, very nicely, trying to get people to see this problem through the addiction lens). For me, I may have said 'sugar addict" and "flour addict" last year in a half-joking way, just using the terms because there was nothing more convenient...but these past couple of months (really the time after my lapse back into full-fledged carb abuse), I have begun to understand the truth of saying "carb addiction"--it's physiological and psychological and every bit as serious as a cocaine addiction (if cheaper--lol). I'm not saying everyone reading this board suffers from it, but I surely do, and I feel I'm making great strides in dealing with it as such. I can hardly believe I can say this now, but I'm suddenly grateful for my lifelong weight problem, because it is hating being fat (in a world where fat women are so hated) that finally led me to think about carb addiction, and getting off carbs then struggling to stay off that finally made me understand that in one sense, the addiction is just the symptom. A lifetime of self-medication with carbs is finally turning around, and I'm amazed at the self-discovery that has been part of it.

Enough babbling about me--this started off as a thank you to Karen!

Oh, and it was Socrates who said it.