Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 14:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Unhappy

hi Josee,

I didn't see your other post until today ... I merged them together, because I think the problem is related.

Yes, metformin has nausea as a side effect .. according to the monograph the problem occurs up to 30% of people who take it ... the symptoms appear at the beginning of therapy and subside over time. Note that naus. & vom. are NOT allergic reactions. You might ask your doctor about cutting the dose in half for a couple weeks till your stomach adjusts.

Metformin won't cause hypoglycemia like blood sugar lowering drugs will, such as Glyburide. Met. works by improving insulin sensitivity, so less insulin gets produced in response to a rise in blood sugar. However, going way low on calories and skipping meals WILL cause hypoglycemia, and that may well be part of your dizziness problem too. And you really need to ensure that you're drinking lots of water. Metformin is cleared via the kidneys, so you need to keep 'em flushed. Don't know if you're drinking coffee ... it's diuretic, and can make you dehydrated .. plus caffeine is a no-no with PCOS.

One paper I read suggested that metformin can lead to reduced absorption of vitamin B12 which is important for hemoglobin and preventing anemia. And calcium too. So it would be wise to take a multivitamin with B12, and a calcium-magnesium supplement too.

Sorry things look kinda bleak right now ... and hope you're feeling better soon

Doreen