View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Excellent, excellent post LC Idiot. Calories DO count. Fat WILL be stored as fat if you eat too much of it, even on a very low carbohydrate diet.
People don't realize it's not that calories "don't count", it's that a combination of factors result in it appearing that way for some people who LC. For many if not most people who LC, we have to make an effort to watch our portions.
Here are some examples of factors which will make it seem like eating tons of fat on everything isn't a bad idea...

1) being a guy. (Guys burn LOTS of calories and many can get away with wasting precious calories on low nutrition/high fat foods. Most women, who have dramatically slower metabolisms, stall out more frequently because they burn less calories.)
2) being really active. (Lots of times I hear people who burn ridiculous amounts of calories walking, running, lifting weights etc advising people to eat way more than they likely need, as they don't realize the average person is sedentary and burns way less calories.)
3) being really heavy. (When I was heavy I NEVER counted calories and lost lots of weight. Then when I got smaller I realized I had to more consciously change my behavior and stop snacking unless I was TRULY hungry because my metabolism had dropped significantly. Lots of times I see people blame stalls on weight loss, when in reality they are stalling because they're eating too much to continue losing weight. I also see people who weigh quite a lot telling very small people that they are risking "starvation mode" by eating as little as they do; it may be starvation for them, but for someone like me 1200 or 1300 calories is no where near starving and is only like 300 below maintenance.)

Then there are those people who may have average or normal metabolisms, but because of a relative difference in perception between the way they feel on LC vs the way they feel on other eating plans, they also make the erroneous assumption that calories don't count. Some examples...

1) People who are coming off of very low fat plans, especially those who have some pathology of carbohydrate metabolism, now discover they can eat more calories on a LC diet. This leads them to believe that eating more will speed up weight loss, or even that calories don't count at all on a LC diet.
2) When people start a LC diet, they find they've eliminated all their favorite snack foods - crackers, chips, chocolate, fruit, etc. These are calories people tend to consume without even realizing it. Because they've eliminated so many superfluous calories, they lose weight but they don't feel like they're on a diet. This then leads them to believe there is something magical about LC that allows them to lose weight on the same amount of calories. In reality they've cut out a lot of "empty" calories that go right through w/o satisfying you...

Most of the ill-fated advice comes from people who have a combination of those factors.
Like, a very active carbohydrate sensitive person who previously did low fat (this person will see a dramatic improvement on LC and will perceive that he or she can eat "anything" and still lose weight).
Or, a guy who previously was eating lots of HC junk food (again, this person will see dramatic improvement on LC, because he burns a lot of calories, but he is no longer consuming all these "empty calories" and not even realizing it).

Either way, I totally agree with what you're saying. For awhile on the LC boards there was a perception that fat can't be stored as fat, that carbs are required to store anything as fat, that calories only matter when eating carbs, etc. When people were stalled it was common advice to tell them to eat more calories. I remember this advice and tried it out a couple of times when I was losing. At the time I believed it, but in hindsight I now realize it's not that eating more helped me lose... it's that the wooshes usually came right after a high calorie day and I was due for them anyway. Most of the weight I lost by eating very, very little because LC limited both my appetite and my ability to mindlessly consume snackfood. Plus I was so heavy that I really could "afford" to experiment by doing high cal days, and they likely still were below maintenance. A very small person would likely see considerable weight gain. If a person burns 2000 calories, and is recommended to eat 2500 to "jump start" the metabolism, they are going to do WAY less damage than if someone burns only 1500 calories and are given the same advice. Fortunately for me, I discovered quite quickly that calories do count, so I never stalled out for lengthy periods of time. I lost all my weight in about a year.

I look at it like this. LC is a new thing, so there are going to be lots of myths around it. When LF was new there were also lots of myths around it. It was a lot like the low fat nonsense that only fat can be stored as fat, and just as untrue. While the advice was less damaging (fat is self limiting, unlike carbs, so telling people they can eat all they want of fat isn't going to likely result in weight gain like telling people they can eat all the carbs they want did), it still is completely counter intuitive to making any real progress at weight normalization. Every day here I see post after post of people who are obviously stalling because they aren't changing their behavior to eliminate eating in absence of true hunger, or eating too much at meals... basically, abundance of energy in the form of fat/protein is stalling them out. Instead they do all sorts of other things to try to lose weight which aren't constructive in the long term.

Bottom line, if you want to be a healthy weight, you need to do the following:
a) Break behavioral/emotional associations with food (the majority of over eating is behavioral/emotional IMO. Eat only when TRULY hungry and try to stop when no longer hungry... most people would lose weight and be thin doing this.)
b) Be realistic about your body and weight (if you're a healthy size 6 or 8, even if you weigh 155 pounds, it's unrealistic for you to think LC isn't "working" because you can't maintain a size 2. It's unrealistic to want to be 115 pounds even if you are already a healthy size at 155. I see too many people who are THIN, obviously HEALTHY, but because they weigh more than some people, or because they wear only an "average" size, they think they should lose weight. It's sad how we let a number dictate our self-esteem and perception of our bodies.)

That's it. LC can help control physical problems with sugar, and it can control a desire to eat more than you need, but it's not magic. Losing weight is NOT magic, there never will be a magic pill. We just need to accept this and work with reality, not fight it. Only then can we make progress.