#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 14:29

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Frederick's Gym Log

Ok, here goes…

This is the first time in my life that I’ve ever started any kind of log or journal, and that goes for just about every other facet of my life. A little background on my situation would be appropriate, I suppose. To make a long story short, I was brought up in an era where “cardio” was the king of all exercises. I played college baseball and our coach had us running those two-a-days (5 miles each) with wind sprints in between. There was very little emphasis on weights back then.

The training regimen will be designed with one purpose in mind--increasing top performance. Endurance, stamina, and efficiency will all be secondary concerns. Instead, the focus will be maximizing speed and power. We know that high fat increases endurance. Let's see the effect it has on *anaerobic* activities.

What I'll do is update by editing this first page when the need arises. This way, instead of flipping through pages and pages of minor updates, this first page will always have the newest training stats. Commentary, observations, and rational will be in following pages, of course.

Naturally, any comments, insights, and suggestions would be welcomed.

Supplements: No longer taking one finding the constant swallowing of pills too great a challenge

Starting Parameters:
Weight: 150 (5’ 10”)
Waist: 29”
Shoulders/Chest: 39 inches

The Plan:

General zero-carbing keeping average daily carbohydrate intake to approximately 5 grams per day. I'm very curious to see how my athletic performance responds to zero-carbing. Having recently given out some subjective advice to a tennis player on options to improve her performance, I feel compelled to practice what I preach (put money where mouth is, if you will) following the identical training regimen I had recommended. Let's see if it works on zero-carb.

I will no longer track my food intake. It’s zero-carb, what’s the point right? During this period, I will make every effort to eat only meats, egg, and cheese, and with some heavy cream in my coffee. I will also not monitor my calorie intake, unless there’s a compelling reason why my food intake needs to be tinkered.

Training Regimen

4 days per week:

Cardio – Empty stomach run, 5 miles in 30 min

Upper body resistance, once per week:

Chest: Dumbbell bench press – 3 sets of 10 with 65lbs per side
Deltoid Fly (machine) – 3 sets of 10 with 120 lbs outward & 160lbs inward
Pushups – 3 sets of 50
Shoulders:
Shoulder Press (machine) – 3 sets of 10 ~ 150lbs
Lateral Raise (machine) – 3 sets of 10 ~ 110 lbs
Arms: (not sure if it’s biceps or triceps – like I said, I know very little about weight lifting and it’s corresponding terminology—so please bear with me)
Triceps extension (machine) 3 sets of 10 ~ 110lbs
Standing Curl – 3 sets of 10 ~ 75lbs
Standing Pulldown arm extension (machine) - 3 sets of 10 ~ 55lbs
Abs on exercise ball – 3 sets of 40

Back muscles, once per week:

Back:
Super Longpull (seated machine) – 3 sets of 10 ~ 110lbs
Seated Pulldown (machine) – 3 sets of 10 ~ 150lbs
Dumbbell (leaning over bench with a knee raised and straight back) – 3 sets of 10 with 50lbs each side
Unassisted Pull-ups: 1 set of 10
Abs on exercise ball – 3 sets of 50

Lower body resistance, once per week:

Lower body:
Leg Curl (machine) – 3 sets of 10 ~ 80 lbs
Leg Extension (machine) – 3 sets of 10 ~ 100 lbs
Standing Calf (machine) – 3 sets of 10 ~ 190 lbs
Exercise ball with back against the wall where you lower to a sitting position then all the way back up – 3 sets of 10
Abs on exercise ball – 3 sets of 30

3 times per week:

40 yard wind sprints for 30 minutes

Just updated all the weights information. After a month into my training, I will begin monitoring 40 yard dash times, how I respond to increase in lifting weights, and how I feel during the intensity of competitive fencing.
Sponsored Links