Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 02:16

Plan: Atkins/Diabetic
Stats: 137/138/128 Female 5'4 and 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
IMHO staying even in mild ketosis (<50g a day) for a prolonged period of time lowers your basal insulin and sort of makes you even more insulin resistant. You body relies more on glucogen and it's level is higher than insulin now, meaning it's breaking fat and protein to make up for carbohydrates shortage which is also helps to lose weight. When you suddenly eat something that contains about 100 g of cabrs in one meal, you don't have enough insulin to handle this load and your BGs will shoot sky high. It takes some time to switch from fat burning metabolism associate with glucogen to glucose burning driven by insulin. For non-diabetics it's usually 36-48 hours, but diabetics may be different?
This is may be why ADA suggests diabetics to have a small meal every 3-4 hours to get constant insulin supply and keep BGs steady.
Cheers,
Dina

Good post, thanks. I'm not very scientific and will have to read it over and over to try to understand it. When you're in the Atkins mild ketosis state, "Your body relies more on glucogon" did you mean rather than glucogen, or is there a difference? Probably you could explain why I get pulled muscles so much, especially in my arms? Several doctors have not been able to. (I don't know if this is a factor but thyroid meds manufacturers have been changing potency, probably to sell more pills but I don't know if all doctors get notified, and a lot of people at about.com's thyroid forum besides myself had their usual dosage reduced instead of increased, some kind of mixup. Muscle pain is a low-thyroid symptom. Did Atkins make it worse? Even pulling leggy grass from under my shrubbery, which should come out easily, injures my arms again, spasms. )