#2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Nancy, and welcome.
Cravings can be very tough. I don't get them out of the blue ever, but when the food is around it can be uncomfortable and hard to resist. My weaknesses are salted roasted nuts and starchy chinese food. The nuts aren't so bad, because they're filling and pretty low carb, so even if I do lose control the damage is minimal... however the loss of feeling of control is terrible.
Chinese food is another story. My fam gets it all the time and I have to say no to my favorites like egg rolls, wonton soup, rice, lo mein, etc. I can control myself with chinese, but it's really terrible to look and see all of that and feel like I can't have it. Sometimes I'll have a bit of rice though, but it's just not the same . I mean you want a little of everything like in the "old days", but it's just sooo high carb and high calorie that you can't. Even if I took little bits of everything it would still be a very high carb/cal meal.

I think the trick to beating cravings is to learn how to have small amounts of the "forbidden food", without binging on the whole thing. If you are craving chocolate, have one or two squares of really good stuff with a nice cup of tea. If you want a cookie, have half or a quarter of one. If you want a candy bar, buy a low carb candy bar and eat 1/4 of it. I eat my sweets with lots of low carb/cal sweet things (like strawberries) so it feels like I'm eating a lot of what I like. Half a cup of lc ice cream with lots of berries a sprinkling of chopped nuts and low calorie whipped cream is very low cal and low carb. Little modifications in behavior with food like that will allow you to virtually eat whatever you want without sabotaging your success.

Not only learn to take less and enjoy it, but learn to find healthier replacements for bad food. A big bowl of chilled hood yogurt rich with chopped nuts and fruit is a yummy replacement for ice cream... and it's so low calorie and healthy that you can have a lot, eat it for a snack, and still be golden.

Also, if your husband is keeping foods that you can't control yourself around in plain sight, you should ask him to consider hiding them somewhere. I don't mean that you should ask him to hide ALL no-no foods, but I think it's not unreasonable for him to hide a few foods that you are especially weak around from you. If you were an alcoholic, would he leave booze around?