#8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 23:30

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 205.2/193.4/155
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Diet & Depression

Tonmur,
I also suffer from depression. Sounds like you're getting some interesting advice so far. I took Zoloft for 2 & a half years and the effect was the same as described by DoodleBug - for most of the time - my life was great. This past summer the fog in my head started to come back - but not the depression. I spent 3 months getting off my meds & now suffer from headaches that feel like I'm having a stroke. Going for a CT scan this month.
I've been in induction almost 2 weeks now. My headaches are not as frequent and the other withdrawl symptoms are all gone. So is the massive fog!!!!!
I work in community mental health, with many psychiatric survivors. The ones that I know that have tried LC-ing, have had similar difficulties - depression vs. dieting. However, they've also noted that their depression (for those suffering from it) subsides if they can make it through induction. Also, med-free.
So I figured, 2 weeks of withdrawl from carbs can't be anything near as bad as (now) 4 months of withdrawl from meds.
My advice, I guess, is to try & tough it out without the meds, if you can.
I rarely give advice about mental health questions related to dieting, but this time, I felt that I had to give you another perspective about the meds.
I also agree that "talk-therapy" is great for depression. Try it.
As rediculous as it sounds (I've been there), try to keep your focus on LC-ing, not the depression.
I haven't looked around the boards enough yet, but I have discovered a few mental health related postings - I wonder if we should start another board?
Hope my view on this helps. Sincerely.
Charmainia