View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 19:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Brad, I don't think that Dr. Atkins ever specifically spoke to those issues, possibly because his specialty was cardiology and I don't believe that he used his own patients' records to follow progress at 10 years out, espcially given that paper records can take up quite a bit of space and legally doctors are only required to keep records for the past 7 years. I have heard, though, that there is a book coming out this fall written, at least in part, by Dr. Atkins on the subject of diabetes or diabesity as he referred to it and perhaps some of the questions that you have are addressed in the new book.
However...Dr. Richard Bernstein (the site that I gave the links to) has spoken to at least some of those issues. His own cardiac profile, even as a type 1 diabetic is picture perfect after more than 3 decades as a low carber.
His own story is that he has managed to reverse quite a few diabetic complications (I believe that neuropathy was one of them), including early kidney damage, with a low carb approach.
I will say, though, that if a neuropathy is to reverse itself with a low carb approach, it will likely take some time. Peripheral nerves can and do regenerate, but it is a slow process. When I was young, I severed a nerve in my left foot by stepping on a sea wall spike (all the way through the foot) causing numbness to my last 3 toes and part of the distal foot. It did regenerate over the period of a few years, but the process was...uncomfortable.