View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 16:06

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

Interesting question, Brad. Have you read Dr. Bernstein's book? His own personal experience certainly supports his theory that his methods work for the long term. He has been managing his own type 1 diabetes for many years (I believe he was in his early 30s when he began and is now in his early or mid 70s.) I'm at work and don't have my book with me, so I can't check on his actual stats, such as A1C, blood lipid levels, blood pressure, etc., but they're all listed in the book and are all considerably better than normal.

Your question reminds me of a question that I've had for a long time, though - why has there not been research done into the long-term effectiveness of a low carb diet for diabetics compared with the standard "diabetic diet"? Or a broader study comparing the long-term complications of the various methods of managing diabetes? I simply can't understand why this hasn't been done many years ago. It would be a relatively easy thing to do compared with the complexities of many studies that have been done over the years. It almost makes my paranoid mind wonder whether certain powerful groups (pharmaceutical companies and groups whose research they sponsor) are opposing it for reasons of their own. Well, pardon my rant for the day!

Karen