View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 15:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I started to go down the list and realized I wasn't describing the taste so stopped. You can check out the Internet to find out about most if not all of the veggies on your list. Explore as many of them as you can, you may be surprised at how creative you can be. If you buy them fresh you can buy just enough to taste to see if you like them.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiefoun
hey there- i'm not a huge veggie person. i have kind of stuck to the five year old mentality in that department throughout my life- corn, green beans, lettuce, carrots, spinach. i've branched out some since i've started this WOE, but there are a lot of things that i just have never tried. i was wondering if everyone could throw in their two cents for a virtual taste test for me- lol.
i pasted in the acceptable foods list from the induction rules.

i'm hitting that first stall time- noticed i didn't lose anything at all last week, so i'm getting more interested in trying the foods i've turned my nose up to! thanks for all your help!

alfalfa sprouts - good on salads - but can taste woody
daikon - a radish - milder I think than a red radish
mushrooms - depends on the kind - some (white) are quite bland but when you saute them or put them raw in salad with other stuff they are great.
arugula - I don't like it - too bitter for me - most say it is peppery. DH loves it in salad
endive - DH llikes this - I also find it bitter
parsley - I know it is supposed to have a taste, but I hardly notice it.
bok choy - great in stir fry - cabbage family
escarole
peppers - raw, cooked, sauteed, delicious, although we can't eat the green ones any more....
celery -
fennel - great in soups - we make a fennel chicken soup - anise taste.
radicchio
chicory
jicama
radishes
chives
lettuce
romaine lettuce - better than iceberg lettuce - used to make wraps in our house
cucumber - good in salads, or sliced thin and lengthwise for making wraps
māche
sorrel

Other Vegetables

artichoke - love it or hate it - it can be a lot of work to prepare - you can buy just the hearts in a jar. Can't describe the taste.
celery root
pumpkin - good as a savory side dish, but also to make a dessert. It's a squash.
artichoke hearts
rhubarb
asparagus - tastes like asparagus can't describe it
chard
sauerkraut - sour cabbage - great with sausages
bamboo shoots
collard greens
scallions
dandelion
snow peas
bean sprouts
dandelion greens