View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 01:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have to tell you this because I'm afraid for you: Eating 15 grams or less may thwart you in the long run unless you plan to eat that way for the rest of your life. And 1000 calories a day will damage you. Your body will start using- and probably already has - it's muscle mass for fuel if you eat this low and excercise vigorously to boot.

What happens? Weight loss will halt because your body thinks it's starving. It will continue to hold on to fat while canibalizing your muscle mass.

You need a certain amount of calories for basic functions. 1000 is Ok if you weigh 80-100 pounds.

This is from Dr. Atkins revised edition:

Misconception:You can do Atkins while following a low fat regimen.
Reality:To encourage your body to burn its own stores of fat, you need to reduce the amount of carbohydrates you eat, meaning you have to eat primarily foods rich in protein and fat. Remember that essential fatty acids play a role in normal metabolic function. Fat also plays a role in stabilizing blood sugar and increasing satiety. If fat intake is too low, you will not burn fat aggressively. Moreover, excess protein converts to glucose and can keep fat from becoming primary fuel.

I know you're high on your weight loss and new found hope but please! Do yourself a big favour and pick up a copy of Protein Power or Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. You deserve it!

In the meantime, read these links.

Fat and Keeping
Calories Up

More on Fat and Keeping Calories Up

Karen