View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 16:32

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'm not convinced. Rats are rats and humans are humans. Physiological reactions don't always translate. I would put more weight on the french experience with sweetened yogurt than this rat experience. I wonder what the results would have been had they tried low-fat yogurt vs full-fat yogurt

However, I am convinced that a high-carb, low-fat diet messes you up. Back in the bad old days of trying to cut down calories through low-fat/high-carb, I would become ravenously hungry in the early evening and couldn't seem to stop eating. It's as if I just couldn't be satisfied no matter what I ate.

That never happens when I don't restrict fat.

THe most satisfying meal for me, that sticks with me the longest time is a combination of carbs, protein and fat. The least satisfying meal, is anything low-fat.

My theory is that human have a innate desire for fat. That's why fat has always been the most prized macro-nutrient throughout history. We also possess an innate ability to judge the calories from fat, which is why fat is self limiting. However, throughout history, we never had a steady supply of sugar. A concentrated sugar source, like honey, was a rare find. So we learned to crave it, but never had to develop a self-limiting mechanism.

That's probably why, on low-fat, the body keeps urging you to eat because its not getting what it needs and it knows it.
Anyway, that's my theory, and I find that it applies to me closely