Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 14:50
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasix
Dr. Phil has a weight-loss program? I'm not very familiar with the guy, but I did catch a few minutes of his show a few weeks ago, and I don't remember him looking particularly fit or healthy. Am I remembering wrong?
I am an avid Dr. Phil fan. His weight loss program is described in his book, The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution. Since Dr. Phil is a psychologist, the book focuses on the psychological reasons why people become overweight such as low self esteem, anger, fear, resentment and what he calls "self-medicating" ourselves with food. The program has " 7 keys to weight loss." These keys try to get a person to discover what it is that makes them overeat and then try to solve it. Diet is only a part of the program. While Dr. Phil does have a couple of eating plans, he does not say that is the only way to eat. He simply stresses good nutrition and cutting out most fats, sugar and processed carbs. The eating plan and suggestions in his book are the standard portion control low fat fare, but he also suggests a lower carb plan called the Rapid Start Plan which essentially cuts out most carbs except for high fiber cereal for breakfast. A company also partnered with Dr. Phil to sell nutritional shakes and bars with his picture on them. They are called Shape Up bars and shakes. I don't think they are doing very well. He suggests people use them only once in awhile as an alternative when they are hiking or traveling or need a quick lunch. I tried his program and love the motivational tips, but the WOE lacked the structure I needed. He has also published The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution Cook Book with both low fat and some low carb recipes recipes. Some people have lost weight on his program and swear by it and for some it doesn't work, just like any weight loss program.

As far as Dr. Phil's weight, according to him he is 6 ft. 3 inches tall and weighs 235 lbs. He was a football player in college and is very athletic and plays tennis everyday. I would consider him husky, not fat. Look at him standing next to his wife and you will see what I mean.