View Single Post
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 19:14

Plan: IF, Paleo
Stats: 247/183/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Low-carb great for normal weight children too

I have 4 daughters ages 11, 9, 6 and 3. All of them are in the normal range for weight except for my 9-year old who is extremely thin. Anyway, the rule for all my children is that they must ask before they help themselves to food. They ask for a snack and then I give them several choices (apple, yogurt, cheese etc..) Believe me, even with my vigilence, they end up consuming much more sugar then I'd like, but I figure if I'm trying, they'll end up eating healthier. I don't worry about depriving my skinny girl junk food. She needs the healthy lower carb snacks as much or more than the others. She just doesn't have a big appetite so everything she puts into her mouth needs to count. Besides, I'm almost positive she has a low blood sugar problem.

This summer we've also started all of them on a voluntary running program. Each time they increase their distance they earn a reward like shopping or a meal out with mom. The 3 year old can run 1/2 mile, 1 mile for the 11 and 6 year old and 2 miles for the 9 year old. I am so proud of them.

I'm hoping if they eat reasonably healthy now, they'll be no need for dieting in the future. I do see the signs of a weight problem (judged by body type) for my 6 year old but she is getting slimmer all the time and I am encouraging her love of athletics.

It is true, when I'm eating healthier, everyone eats healthier.

I do have the advantage of being an at-home mom with time to make whole grain, higher protein bread, and plan well-rounded meals. I think it would be much tougher for a payroll mom.

All of you sound like you're making great efforts and I applaud you.

Jennifer