Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: restricted carb Paleo
Stats: 180/124/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally posted by lisaf
surlymel - are you allergic to grains? I am apparently allergic to wheat and corn. I must say that many of my allergies are much improved since starting this WOE this June. I only rarely used antihistamines this summer...a big change from before.

I have an autoimmune reaction (called Celiac) to all cereal grains. Antibodies try to latch on to the proteins in those foods, but get a little screwy and tend to attack anything in the body that those grains come in contact with. The first part to show damage is the duodenum (just below the stomach) - it's full of tiny little villi that pull nutrients from the food you eat, but they get clipped off by those rampant antibodies. The small intestine normally has an surface area about the size of a football field, but Celiacs can end up with as little room as a tabletop. Malnutrition, hormone/adrenal/thyroid problems and grouchiness are some of the top symptoms... and a recent study has shown that about 5% of diabetics could have it as well (but keep eating those carbs, huh?).

Guess one of the best things about Schwarzbein is just how adjustable the plan is for anyone with unusual needs... oh, and anti-grain maniacs like me