#190   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 14:20
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile

Brave Monika Report: I did get up on the Elliptical trainer for a few minutes ... whew! I'm going to start super slow because that is going to be one challenging machine for me. Still ... as you all know by now, I love a challenge!!!

Mary ~ I could just see my bottom painted bright yellow with one of those faces on it! Somehow I think that might draw even more attention to me, though. Have a great time with the family! (And check out the pre/post WO nutrition discussion below.)

Teresa! No wonder you're tuckered out! 12-15 hours a day is hardly enough time to think of exercise, let alone do it. It's great you're getting a swim in, hopefully things will calm down and you can back up on those (never again injured) feet! PS - Doesn't surprise me that Ms. Kelly is off and flying!

{{Magpies}} I'm happy to hear the aliens have returned you to us! How was Wimbledon? I thought of you lots when I'd catch a glimpse on TV ... must be so exciting! Hope you're feeling better and I'll send you some of our excessively sunny days your way.

Crysania ~ Dang. I wish I had a free shake! Curves is an interesting program that so many people like ... I'm glad you do, too. It's obviously been very successful for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diemde
I've been reading quite a bit over in the exercise forum. All indications are that every day we should eat 1 gm of protein for every pound of lean mass we have...especially when we are exercising. Is anyone else trying that? For me, it means getting up to 30% protein. I'm finding it hard to get the protein up that high and still not eat too much food.

I shoot for 120 g (cardio) to 160 g (weights) of protein a day - typically 40% of my food, with 10% carbs (not net) and 50% fat. My calories range between 1500 and 1800 - but I'm pretty sure that is way more than what you're eating. The whey powder must help? (But talk about non-food calories. I couldn't use it the way you've described, I just can't stand the taste unless it's highly disguised!)

On pre-WO carbs, I've been eating Yoplait yogurt 30 minutes before I lift ... No more sudden drop of energy when I'm at the gym. Even though it's LC (8 net carbs) - sugar's still one of the main ingredients. I figure I burn those puppies up! I still count all the carbs, though.

Also, like Dianne, Built, Emily and other Weight Lifting Goddesses (hope you know you're one of 'em, too!), I've made sure my post WO meals are LC and high slow protein. I've been doing that intuitively for a while, but it was nice reading that other more experienced women have come to similar conclusions.

When I can afford whey powder, I'm going to make homemade protein bars. For a long time, I figured my excellent recipe was useless since it contains so much fat, slowing down protein absorption. Now I'm realizing this might be perfect for a small bite right after lifting ... it takes me ~1 hour to get home after weights and that feels like a bit too long to go without food at that point.

I just love all this stuff!