View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 08:28

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Wow congrats! I knew you were trying but didn't know you got the results back. I used the Atkins official site suggestions. My doctor was happy with that although she suggested I cut back on the protein she said the amount they had listed was higher than I needed. The atkins site recommended 1800ish calories and 70 to 90 net carbs. I started off by adding almonds (way high in calcium, vitamin e and some other vitamins), walnuts, cottage cheese, yogurt, LC bread, LC tortillas, total protein cereal and quite a bit more fruit. For a while I was up to 120ish carbs a day and did fine but mentally I like to see the carbs stay under 100 net so I have cut back to the atkins suggested amount.

I eat splenda but sparingly and I try to avoid sugar alcohols. I make my own ice cream and treats to avoid those. I have done pretty good sticking to plan but sometimes I do slip. If I want a slice of pizza on Friday with my family, I will have it, but I always have a big salad first so I won't fill up on the wrong thing. I try to have one meal a week that is a treat meal. On that meal I typically will try to stay low carb but have one or two small things that are not low carb (like a small serving of fried rice at the chinese buffet although the rest of my plate will be protein and veggies and I try to avoid any sweet sauce or breaded items or sometimes I'll have a tiny bit of a dessert). I figure I probably have no chance of ketosis with my once a week small indulgence.

It's really weird adding back carbs so fast, especially if you haven't raised them much during OWL. I was lucky that I had raised mine quite a bit before finding out I was pregnant but it was still a hard adjustment. It's weird trying to raise the carbs after months and months of trying so hard to keep them low. In the beginning I would find my carbs too low and would eat something bad just to try and stay out of ketosis. I think that was the hardest part of the fast move to maint. I have since figured out how to adjust my carbs (on most days) with the proper foods. Cottage cheese with fruit, walnuts and a splash of divinci syrup are one of my favorite ways to add extra carbs if I am a little low. My best advice is ... toss your scale now or only look at it on days you have a doctors appt. It's so easy to stress over seeing the scale move upwards!

Hope you have a wonderful pregnancy and congrats again.

Jenn