Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibaba
Are you still LCing?
How many carbs were you at and what are they at now?
If you added carbs, when did you start adding them?
What type of carbs did you add?
What about Splenda and sugar alcohols?

Congratulations! You'll see me in Jenn's journal and you can pop into mine anytime you want. I am currently 13 1/2 weeks along. My journal lists my food for every day if you want to check out the menus.

Yes, I am still low-carbing, although Maintenance sucks when you haven't had a chance to finish OWL and do Pre-Maintenance. I was losing slowly at 30-35 net carbs a day, and when I found out I was pregnant I immediately jumped up to about 70-100 a day. Most of the carbs I added were in the form of fruits, dairy, and low-carb whole grains. I pretty much eat any food I am hungry for except the big no-nos: Sugar, white flour, white potatoes, white rice, etc. I do not limit my vegetables or fruits at all and I'm having a blast enjoying oranges, apples, watermelon and cherries again. Some would say these are no-nos due to their rating on the GI scale, but I am having no problem with them.

I do avoid all sugar alcohols, but once in a while (less than once a week) I might sneak a single bite of my husband's LC chocolate bar. I did buy some no-sugar-added popsicles that contain 1 gram of sugar alcohols each, so I let that slide. I am not limiting Splenda at all, but my doctor told me to limit aspartame and saccharin, so I keep the Diet Dr. Peppers to about one or two a week. Otherwise it's Diet Rite, Kool-Aid or lemonade made with Splenda, and lots of water.

I will warn you that Maintenance is not easy — you'll no longer be in ketosis, which means you won't get the appetite- and craving-suppression benefits that you've had for a while on Atkins. This was tough for me and I seem to buckle in the face of french fries and Krispy Kremes. I do cheat about once a week (usually when I go out to eat) and so far my weight gain has been very reasonable. I've only put on 8 pounds since I started, and 5 of that I gained overnight when I switched to Maintenance (water weight).

Edited to add: If this is your first baby, and maybe even if it isn't, buy the book The Girlfriend's Guide To Pregnancy. It is so funny and tells you all the weird pregnancy things that you won't read in the other books.