View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 20:46

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Thought I'd throw another one in here. My mom has been doing her own version of low-carbing for a little over a year now. She still eats whole-grain toast in the morning, but that's the only grain or sugar she eats. The rest is just meat, veggies and very little dairy. (just some cheese)

Before she started eating like this these were her stats:

HDL 32
LDL 215
Tri 308

Her doctor put her on Lipitor. She's cut herself down to only 30mg a week, whereas the standard dose is 20mg a day. I tell her to just stop taking it for three months and see what happens. I feel confident saying this because her numbers last week were:

HDL 59
LDL 104
Tri 57

I think she has some wiggle room to stop taking the statins for a period and see what her blood levels do. She seems to definitely fall into the group whose blood is drastically improved by the way of eating whereas I seem to fall into the group where it is helped a bit by having better ratios, but overall it doesn't have a huge effect. But if the AHA was correct, I should be a walking cardiac arrest with sky-high numbers. It just ain't so.

On the other hand, my dad's doctor just wrote on his chart that he is suffering from the Metabolic Syndrom and therefore is pre-Diabetic. We tell him, we show him, we ask him, but he's just not ready yet. I hope he gets ready before he become diabetic.

So, now my Mom teases him and tells him to go ahead, eat all the sweets because she's going to live to 200 and the sooner he's gone, the sooner she can find someone to spend the next 135 years with. Parents, whatta ya' gonna' do?

Oh, and for me, I posted my numbers elsewhere but I said I'd post them here.
HDL 43
LDL 164
Tri 140
I don't have my old numbers yet (sent away for them from my old doctor) but I do remember that my HDL was 29, my LDL was around 190 and my Tri were around 200. Not a huge improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.

Plane Crazy