#21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 21:50

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I'll grant you even I have to laugh at some of the "low-carb" products. I picked up a Betty Crocker Carb Monitor mix..the first ingredients that caught my eye were wheat flour and sugar...I can't seem to find the nutrition info online to refresh my memory. Coincidence?

Your mention of the product caught my attention, just from it's incongruity. So, being Information Man, I looked it up.

http://www.generalmills.com/careero...sp?storyID=1018

Interesting quotes:

Quote:
“Nearly 70 percent of consumers are monitoring their carb intake,” said Gayle Fuguitt, General Mills vice president of market research. “But whether they are on a lower-carb diet or just watching the amount of carbs they eat, we know they want lower-carb options that are convenient and that taste good. We have reformulated some of consumers' favorite General Mills products to fit a low-carb lifestyle, and added a few new offerings - without sacrificing taste or value.”

70%??? Cool!!

Quote:
Betty Crocker Carb Monitor Baking Mixes, New Betty Crocker Chocolate Chunk brownie mix, Walnut brownie mix, Wild Blueberry muffin mix and Chocolate Chip cookie mix are 35 to 45 percent lower in net carbs and 50 percent lower in sugar than regular Betty Crocker baking mixes.

Unfortunately, I find no nutritional information on any of General Mills' products on their website. The new products aren't mentioned either. But 35-45% lower is not very low. Again, another marketing ploy.

So, no answers to your question, but it is interesting to see the baking industry as thinking 70% of all people are watching their carbs. Hmmm.

Plane Crazy.