Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 16:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjam
Actually, and I'm sorry, but I have heard of this happening to other LC'ers - my neighbor is a doctor and isn't hateful of the lowcarb diet or anything, but said this can be a side effect of this diet in some people prone to it. I've also read information in magazines and online that back it up, so I wouldn't get angry about it, you can't change factual data, just be careful if you should show any symptoms like this - not everyone does, after all.

I'll repeat what others have stated here ... infections are caused by bacteria, not diet. However, a HIGHcarb diet can provide a sugar-rich environment in the urinary tract, which allows bacteria to thrive.

Some health professionals erroneously think that low-carb diets cause kidney disease (not infections though ) because of the fact that high protein intake can be stressful on kidneys that are already damaged from some previous disease, trauma or infection. There is absolutely no evidence that high protein intake will harm HEALTHY kidneys .. otherwise we'd be reading and hearing about a lot of athletes keeling over from kidney disease and needing dialysis before each race That being said, low-carb diets are not high-protein ... they're moderate-protein and high FAT.

Bladder infections are unfortunately common in women due to the shorter length of her urethra and more risk of external bacteria getting in. Wiping the area in the wrong direction after toileting, as well as vigorous sex with a partner who's less than meticulous about their own cleanliness are common causes. Also not drinking enough water, combined with not emptying the bladder when the call of nature strikes (many women have jobs that don't allow necessary breaks from their work-station).

If her pain was in the front lower abdomen, above the pubic bone, then it's a bladder infection. Bladder spasms can be excruciatingly severe , not to mention the burning when trying to empty.

The kidneys are located high up, above the waist ... pain from kidney problems radiates to the sides at the ribcage level .. the so-called flank region.

Doreen