#72   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 15:19
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I am a member of the 'National Endurance and Sports Trainers Association' and in the process of becoming a "Certified Fitness Nutritionist". But, in my opinion, it's just another piece of paper to hang on the wall.

Well, we're in agreement there.

Getting back to the cortisol/hormone thing - as you know, hormones are simply chemical messengers. Cortisol is one of them. Testosterone is another one.

High intensity exercise destroys muscle tissue and in doing so, stimulates an anabolic response. This raises metabolic rate and helps rebuild the muscles.

Cortisol kicks in after about an hour of this, so it's important to avoid overtraining. Cortisol is a CATABOLIC hormone.

Lower intensity exercise also destroys muscle tissue, but unlike higher intensity anaerobic exercise, it doesn't tend to stimulate the same anabolic response. So you don't get the stimulus required to rebuild the damaged muscles. This is why your metabolism doesn't go up afterward like it does following intense activity.

Just call your local University or college. Or go to a library. There's LOTS of information available on these things. The information has been around for so long it's become second nature to many of us.

Basically, cortisol overstimulation is the problem to be avoided, since it "builds you down". When exactly it kicks in is a little different for everybody. The way I see it, the trick is finding your own balance point.