View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 07:32

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Being back from the trip, I can certify that Rumania, Bulgaria and Greece are low carb heavens! I think they are doing the healthy Mediterranian diet to some extend.

Breakfast in all hotels includes hard bold eggs, cold cut (Aufschnitt) meats, regular and feta cheese, scrambled eggs, as well as tomatoes, cucumbers (large cucumbers in GR and BULG, fresh unpickled "pickles" style in Romania), and in Romania and one hotel in Bulgaria included wonderful hering or Salmon also. American hotels should include that in their breakfast buffets!

Romania had German style whole grain bread, too. I ate a lot of fresh grilled fish, grilled veggies, and Greek salad which is called Shopska in Bulgaria, and wonderful lamb dishes in Greece. I ate an occasional Shpinakopita in Greece but mostly stuff in plan (Bulgaria is the country that found 100 recipes to mix tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and feta cheese - add eggs - you get mischmasch, add fire-roasted eggplant, you get a typical appetizer, etc.). I had some dried cheese snacks with me so it was wonderfully easy to keep South Beach principles the whole way.

I completely lost portion control but was good regarding keeping the plan in WHAT I ate - so I was very happy to find myself at zero gain, zero loss in spite of having eaten A LOT!