View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 19:00
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Funny. I do the work that I do because I've found it's the fastest and easiest way to maintain the leanness and proportion I like my body to have. Nothing I have ever done has been so fast, so easy, or so effective. Or so fun!

It also helps mitigate the catabolic effect of some of the recreational activities I enjoy, such as cycling and hiking - activities that I always had the energy for - even when I was 170 pounds!

As an added perk, I'm hardly ever sick, and my blood profiles have never looked so good. Not bad, considering my cholesterol was high enough to medicate by the time I was 33. And unlike the times in my life when I did a lot more cardiovascular activities, I'm rarely injured. I got a lot of repetitive strain injuries back in my cardio class and 10k days.

I got sick a lot too, come to think of it. I didn't understand why at the time, but I now understand that resistance training helps repair the immune response (by stimulating GH, as I understand it), where the extended cardio sessions I was trying to use for weight control can actually hinder immune response. Hence the recurring colds.
Quote:
Avoid aerobics if a viral illness seems imminent; lift to ward it off. The East Germans knew this more than 30 years ago...
(Dave Draper, Iron Online)

I'm pretty happy about being healthier, leaner, and stronger at 41 than I was in my 20s and thirties, and with a LOT less effort.

Cardiovascular exercise is not useless. But it's vastly overrated for health and for body composition. My feeling is we should all get in a good brisk walk most days of the week for cardiovascular (that's your HEART, folks!) health. If you choose to do more for pleasure or recreation, you may need to apply some strategy to maintain your health and remain injury free. And it's not a great way to try to lose fat or maintain a favourable body composition.

But we all have to find our own paths. Mine is just the one of MORE resistance.