Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 18:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins maintenance
Stats: 147/137/ Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress:
Default chips

i'm a chip-a-holic!
thought i'd give you my impressions since i try almost every brand/kind i see.

doritos edge products: decent
chips taste 'soy-ish'; grittier than regular dorito chips. the dorito flavors taste almost exactly the same. edge tostidos were just about as good as normal tostidos. can't say as nice things for the cheetos. not bad/not good. pricey though, like $3. (7 servings in bag)

trader joe flaxseed chips: great
they're heavy/thick, and not really a "tortilla" chip if that's what you're looking for. more like a "chip" cracker (? it's hard to explain) but, they taste great. you can build serious nachos with them! cheap...under $2 a bag (15 servings in bag)

trader joe low carb corn chips (NOT nacho cheese!! those suck): great
if you don't like the flax chips, these will be your best friend. by far the best chip to taste like a plain-old tortilla chip to come out, imho. less 'soy-ish' than the other soy chips i've tried. light and crispy. cheap...under $2 a bag, too. (15 servings)

garcia's low carb chips: good
i'd take these in a pinch, anyday, and take them over the dorito tostidos. they're more "thick/sturdy" or something than the dorito edge products, and less grainy. pricey, pricey though. stores near me have them at $3.49 a bag (?? servings. forgot to look, but bag's roughly equal to edge products and smaller than trader joe products)

carb solutions chips: could live without 'em
not bad, just not as good as other stuff that's out there now. also, as all carb options products are, they cost a bit too much (imho) for what you get.

just the cheese "chips": strong, but really tasty good
if you don't mind loads of cheese taste, these are good snacks. but again, they're "chips" made from just cheese and seasonings, so they're pretty heavy in flavor. the texture is somewhere between a chip and a rice cake. not sure if they're technically "expensive" since they're cheese, rather than some kind of soy/grain/flour derivitive, but the cost is high. you can find them at walgreens/longs/rite aid sometimes for about $2, but i've seen them as high as $4. the package is like 2 or 3 oz!!

atkins crunchers: ok
if someone else had bought them, i'd eat them. but bang-for-the-buck wise, i'm not impressed. i think they're now outdated with better tasting things, but were a great idea at the start and still taste pretty ok in a pinch. i never seem to be all that "filled" after eating them, though. also expensive.

keto chips: haven't tried because i haven't seen them.
i don't shop locarb stores, so if it doesn't show up at the local grocery, whole foods, trader joes, or drug store, i don't get to it.