Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 05:03
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
And the kids haven't had the decades it takes for a good, solid case of insulin resistance to set in.

I don't know about that... I've never been tested, but I'm pretty sure I have fairly significant insulin resistance due to the plethora of symptoms I previously (and currently) express. I started the Atkins diet at 20 years old, after suffering with said symptoms as far as I can remember. I vividly remember what I now recognize to be reactive hypoglycemic symptoms/attacks as a pre-teen. I expressed PCOS symptoms since puberty.

I think how readily one becomes insulin resistant is a function of both genetic potential and environment. I have both poor genetic potential and previously had a very poor diet.
If you have good genetic resistance against insulin resistance (a metabolism which tolerates sugar well) and a good environment (high activity, well balanced, low refined carbs, moderate/low calorie), odds are you never will develop any significant insulin resistance (or perhaps not until very late in life, 60s or 70s, and a minor case).
If you have good/decent genetic resistance against malfunctioning sugar metabolism, but a really, really bad diet (high refined carbs, high calories), than you likely will become insulin resistant significantly and earlier (probably by age 30 or 40 - mid life). The reverse is also true, in that you can have poor resistance but a good diet and in doing this you will also delay the onset of symptoms of insulin resistance.

However, if you hve poor genetic potential AND poor diet... well that's just a recipe for early life diabetes & other diseases of insulin resistance. Native Americans are a perfect example of this unfortunate combination. Many of their young children are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.